Re: [GIT PULL] md-next 20230622

> On Jun 23, 2023, at 8:16 AM, Jens Axboe <axboe@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> On 6/23/23 9:08?AM, Song Liu wrote:
>> Hi Jens,
>>
>> I am so sorry for this problem.

>>> This is quite a lot on the day that I prepare pull requests for the
>>> merge window... I've said this many times before, but just to state this
>>> in completeness, maybe it'll benefit others too:
>>>
>>> 1) Major changes for the next release should be sent to me _at least_ 1
>>>  week prior to the merge window opening. That way it gets some decent
>>>  soak time in linux-next before heading upstream.
>>
>> I am aware of the rule. A couple reasons caused a late PR this time:
>
> Then please be explicit when sending out a pull request like this on why
> it's late. Otherwise it just looks like a normal pull request, which it
> is not. If your original pull request had any kind of explanation on why
> so much is being sent so late, then we would not be having this followup
> at all...

Indeed! I should have explained the case in the first place.

>> 1. Set #1 and set #3 are relatively new, especially set #3, which was
>>   first sent earlier this week. Set #2 is older, but there was more
>>   discussions on it until recently. (It is still my fault not pushing
>>   on set #2 sooner).
>>
>> 2. I wasn't very sure whether there will be a rc8. The announcement for
>>   rc7 didn't state it clearly. (Shall I assume there is no rc8 unless
>>   Linus states it clearly?)
>>
>> 3. I was hoping to group more patches into one PR. I guess this was the
>>   biggest mistake, especially when it is close to the merge window.
>
> Most of the time Linus will be explicit about _maybe_ doing an -rc8, but
> it doesn't really change the rule that I should have bigger stuff in the
> week between rc6 and rc7. When -rc7 is cut, my for-next branches should
> be basically baked and done at that point, and then post -rc7 just fixes
> for existing code. If people stick to that rc6-7 timing, then it'll
> always work, regardless of an -rc8 happening or not.
>
> Even when Linus has -rc8 musings in his later rc posts, it's not a given
> that they will happen.

Thanks for the explanation. I will get big things ready before rc7 in
the future.

>>> 2) Minor fixes, either for major pulls that already went into my next
>>>  branch or just fixes in general, can be sent anytime and I'll shove
>>>  them into the appropriate branch.
>>>
>>> When bigger stuff gets sent this late, then I have two choices: reject
>>> them and tell you to send it in for the next version, or setup a new
>>> branch just for this so I can send it to Linus in a later pull in the
>>> merge window. Neither of those two options are great - the first one
>>> delays you by a release, the second one creates more churn and hassle
>>> for me.
>>
>> I will prepare another PR with just fixes.
>>
>> Christoph,
>>
>> Please let me know if you need set #1 (deprecate file bitmap) to
>> unblock other work. Otherwise, we will delay it until 6.6.
>
> I've done a for-6.5/block-late and put your stuff there, but it can be
> dropped very easily. It doesn't really matter if Christoph's stuff can
> get pushed, it's still a lot of commits late. So regardless of that, the
> only real difference with a new PR would be that we'd drop some bits.
> It'd still go into a late branch, as it is indeed late.

Thanks for taking them to the late branch. If it is dropped, shall I
1. Delay bigger sets until 6.6;
2. Send fixes in a separate PR (after 6.5-rc1)?

Thanks,
Song