Re: Transferring an existing system from non-RAID disks to RAID1 disks in the same computer

On January 22, 2023 12:19:36 PM EST, Wol <antlists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>On 22/01/2023 05:05, H wrote:
>> However, going back to the issue of /boot/efi possibly not being
>duplicated by CentOS, would not mdadm take care of that automatically?
>How can I check?
>
>mdadm/raid will take care of /boot/efi provided both (a) it's set up
>correctly, and (b) nothing outside of linux modifies it.
>
>You can always run a raid integrity check (can't remember what it's
>called / the syntax) which will confirm they are identical.
>
>But if something *has* messed with the mirror outside of linux, the
>only
>way you can find out what happened is to mount the underlying
>partitions
>(for heavens sake do that read only !!!) and compare them.
>
>A bit of suggested ?light reading for you - get your head round the
>difference between superblocks 1.0 and 1.2, understand how raid can
>mirror a fat partition and why that only works with 1.0, and then
>understand how you can mount the underlying efi fat partitions
>separately from the raided partition.
>
>Read the raid wiki https://raid.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/Linux_Raid
>and
>try to get to grips with what is actually going on ...
>
>Cheers,
>Wol

Good to know. Thank you.

By the way, I had not set the partition labels when I installed on the new disks and I see that they became localhost:boot etc, all of the labels start with ”localhost:”

Is there any reason I cannot simply use gparted in CentOS to rename them, ie removing the ”localhost:” part” while keeping the second part of each label? I understand that could have been used in fstab but I have not done that.

Any other place they could potentially be used or is the renaming above safe?