Re: Transferring an existing system from non-RAID disks to RAID1 disks in the same computer

On 22/1/23 13:05, H wrote:

I am happy to share that my plan as outlined below worked. I now have /boot, /boot/efi and / on separate RAID partitions with the latter managed by LVM and encrypted.  All data from the old disk is now on the new setup and everything seems to be working.

However, going back to the issue of /boot/efi possibly not being duplicated by CentOS, would not mdadm take care of that automatically? How can I check?

Well, this one has sparked a bit of an argument.

I do the same. /boot and EFI are on RAID-1 0.90 partitions (ext4 and FAT32 respectively) and everything else is encrypted.

I use rEFInd as a bootloader. It *can* write to the EFI partition to record preferences and settings which can see the RAID out of sync, but it's rare I see that.
In practice this doesn't cause an issue and if the monthly raid check indicates a mismatch I just correct it with a "repair".

In my case the RAID for EFI is for availability.
If I drop a disk the system will still boot regardless of the settings in the partition, and as rEFInd reads its config file from /boot there is no need to write to EFI at all save for upgrading the bootloader.

Regards,
Brad