Re: Transferring an existing system from non-RAID disks to RAID1 disks in the same computer

Am 21.01.23 um 21:04 schrieb Pascal Hambourg:
On 21/01/2023 at 19:57, Reindl Harald wrote:
Am 21.01.23 um 19:52 schrieb Pascal Hambourg:
On 21/01/2023 at 17:24, Reindl Harald wrote:
Am 21.01.23 um 16:17 schrieb Pascal Hambourg:
My point was that UEFI did not change the fact that "you cannot have everything needed for boot on a RAID", so nothing new here.

useless nitpicking isn't helpful

Barking up the wrong tree isn't useful either. EFI is not the culprit.

but the root cause - cause and effect

No, EFI is not the root cause either. The root cause is carelessly storing stuff in the bootloader area as if it was part of the standard Linux filesystem. Guess what ? It is not.

LSB is dead

Even though the EFI partition contains a filesystem, it is not a part of the standard Linux filesystem and requires special consideration, just like the MBR, the post-MBR gap or the BIOS boot partition.

LSB is dead

You can blame Fedora for this. I blame Debian for this. I praise Ubuntu for managing multiple EFI partitions at last, and I do not often praise Ubuntu, believe me.

i don't blame anybody

"BootLoaderSpec" is supposed to fix all the mess around UEFI and bootloaders

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/BootLoaderSpecByDefault

I did not find any information about where the kernel-selection is stored in this page.

in /efi/loader/entries/

Weird, the wiki mentions /boot/loader/entries/.

because that will be the default for everyone in the future

Wol wrote:
quick rsync in the initramfs or boot sequence to sync EFIs, then that's probably the best place.

yeah, initramfs is fine because that's generated due kernel-install

Aren't you confusing the initramfs execution and generation ?

initramfs execution is completly irrelevant for the topic

ok, my mistake: initramfs generation is fine because at that point everything is already there, the initrd is locate don the EFI and when that's finished is the point to sync a backup-ESP

But that's not enough, because other parts of the system may write to the EFI partition, so it does not completely solve the issue

the issue "my primary drive died and i need to boot from the second drive" is solved - period

nobody gives a shit about runtime stuff probably written to the ESP when a drive dies - the only question at that moment is "does my machine boot regulary after one of both drives died and can i start a RAID-rebuild from my normal environment and continue my work"