Re: Transferring an existing system from non-RAID disks to RAID1 disks in the same computer

On 21/01/2023 at 17:24, Reindl Harald wrote:
Am 21.01.23 um 16:17 schrieb Pascal Hambourg:
My point was that UEFI did not change the fact that "you cannot have everything needed for boot on a RAID", so nothing new here.

useless nitpicking isn't helpful

Barking up the wrong tree isn't useful either. EFI is not the culprit.

What is written in the EFI partition on kernel update in Fedora ? In Debian, the EFI partition is written only on grub package update or when running grub-install.

and where do you think is the kernel-selection stored?

I already wrote I don't know anything about Fedora.

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/BootLoaderSpecByDefault

I did not find any information about where the kernel-selection is stored in this page.

[root@srv-rhsoft:~]$ ls /efi/loader/entries/

I guess /efi it the EFI partition mount point. Well then, any system tool that populates this directory should be able to manage multiple EFI partitions.

Not my point. My point is that if secondary EFI partitions are updated only during the boot sequence then they will be out of sync at the next boot following an update of the primary EFI partition

nobody is takling about update it during the boot sequence

Please re-read the thread.
In Message-ID: <d1a78f14-843a-e6f1-b909-67e091c5fa3f@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Wol wrote:
quick rsync in the initramfs or boot sequence to sync EFIs, then that's probably the best place.

And in Message-ID: <acc6add5-347b-7ecb-f6e9-056d21783984@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, after I expressed disagreement, you wrote:
these ARE adequate places

* kernel-install generates initrd and boot entries
* kernel-install needs a drop-in to run a script
   after it's finished
* that script can rsync /efi/ to /efi-bkp/ or whereever
   you mount the ESP on the second drive
* case closed - the ESP on both drives have the same
   content and it just works

for now you need to rsync manually