Re: RAID5 failure and consequent ext4 problems

Luigi Fabio <luigi.fabio@xxxxxxxxx> writes:

> The way I have found it explained in multiple places is that the
> backups only get updated as a consequence of an actual userspace
> interaction. So you have to run fsck or at least change settings in
> tune2fs, for instance, or resize2fs ... then all the backups get
> updated.

Exactly.  Changing the filesystem with tune2fs or resize2fs requires
that all of the backups be updated.

> The jury is still out on whether automated fscks - for those lunatics
> who haven't disabled them - update or not. There is conflicting
> information.

IIRC, a preen ( the automatic fsck at boot ) normally just sees that the
dirty flag is not set ( since the filesystem was cleanly unmounted,
right? ), and doesn't do anything else.  If there was an unclean
shutdown though, and a real fsck is run, then it updates the first
backup.