Re: RAID5 failure and consequent ext4 problems

On Mon, Sep 12, 2022 at 3:12 PM Phillip Susi <phill@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> That's funny.  IIRC, the backups virtually never get updated.  The only
> thing e2fsck needs to get from them is the location of the inode tables
> and block groups, and that does not change during the life of the
> filesystem.
>
> I might have something tickling the back of my memory that when e2fsck
> is run, it updates the first backup superblock, but the others never got
> updated.
The way I have found it explained in multiple places is that the
backups only get updated as a consequence of an actual userspace
interaction. So you have to run fsck or at least change settings in
tune2fs, for instance, or resize2fs ... then all the backups get
updated.
The jury is still out on whether automated fscks - for those lunatics
who haven't disabled them - update or not. There is conflicting
information.

LF