Re: md device remains active even when all supporting disks have failed and been disabled by the kernel.

My experience is that if a sata controller works fine with one disk,
but not 2 then there is a significant bug in the chip attempting to
correctly handle 2 streams and there is likely no way to fix it
because it is a hw issue.  I have seen way too many controllers that
must have passed a limited worthless test process with only one disk,
but won't work reliably with more than one.

My past testing on cheap PCI-e sata controllers was pretty ugly.
They were a pretty unreliable bunch, they would generally work just
good enough to make you think they work, and then fail under load.   I
gave up and spent a bit more to get a used HBA mode LSI SAS2008
controller but that is a pcie-8 controller and can be had for about
$50.

You cannot umount the filesystem once the underlying disk is gone.
step #1 in umounting is to sync what data there is in ram, and with
the device being gone that will never finish and hence will never
umount it, and there will always be access time and/or other data to
be synced from what I have seen.  I have not heard of a way to tell
the kernel that a device/fs is really gone and clean up the dirty
writes related to that device so that it could be umounted.  You can
lazy umount it and that will make the mount point go away from showing
up in the OS, but it really won't be umounted if there is dirty cache
for the device, and/or programs with file open on the disk.