Re: md device remains active even when all supporting disks have failed and been disabled by the kernel.

Aidan Walton kirjoitti 13/01/2022 klo 2.03:
Hi Roger,
As I mentioned, it is a:
JMicron Technology Corp. JMB363

If my memory is correct. This chip is trash. If I am right, I have same chip on cheap controller what I bought to get IDE controller mainly, it also has 2xSATA ports and I had only troubles with that controller in linux. If I had no drives on SATA ports, dmesg got spammed port errors. If I had drives installed, they was randomly dropping in and out. Chip itself was running hot as hell, I mean so hot that you could not keep finger on chip. I did put some small finns to it and I think it did help little for drives dropping in and out, but didn't solve it.
If you want a cheap controller, get this chip:
02:00.0 SATA controller: ASMedia Technology Inc. Device 1166 (rev 02)

It's been quite stable for me and didn't cost much. Only issue I have that I cannot force it's ports transfer speed to example 3.0G. Spinnin rust do not need 6.0G speed what in my experience increase chance for dropouts if you cables aren't 6.0G ready and how do you tell if they are when cable doesn't have any mention about it? I think it's something to do that it's PMP card and I don't understand how you have to format kernel parameter when you have PMP situation. I can tune internal controller all ports just fine, but not this expansion card. Kernel tell you it's forcing them to 3.0G, but when you check later what transfer speed is, it's still 6.0G