Re: bitmaps on xfs (was "Re: how do i bring this disk back into the fold?")

On 05/04/2021 12:30, Roger Heflin wrote:
   diskfarm:~ # grep /mnt/ssd /etc/fstab
   LABEL=diskfarm-ssd      /mnt/ssd        xfs     defaults        0  0

will work for my bitmap files target, since all I see is that it must be
an ext2 or ext3 (not ext4? old news?) device.

Bear in mind you're better off using a journal (and bitmaps and journals are incompatible).

"not ext4" seems odd to me because - from a kernel point of view - ext's 2 and 3 no longer longer exist.

I don't know, I have always done mine internal.   I could see some
advantage to have it on a SSD vs internally.  I may have to try that,
I am about to do some array reworks to go from all 3tb disks to start
using some 6tb disks.   If the file was pre-allocated I would not
think it would matter which.    The page is dated 2011 so that would
have been old enough that no one tested ext4/xfs.

Umm... don't use all the space on your 6TB disks. I'm planning to build my arrays on dm-integrity, which will make raid 5 a bit more trustworthy.

I was going to tell you you could just create a LV and format it ext3
and use it, but I see it appears you are using direct partitions only.

Ny new system? 4TB disks, with one terabyte raided and lvm on top for root partitions (I'll be configuring it multi-boot or VMs...). Then three terabytes with dm-integrity at the bottom, then raid, then lvm on top for /home and backup snapshots.

Cheers,
Wol