Re: bitmaps on xfs (was "Re: how do i bring this disk back into the fold?")

I have read the analysis on data corruption in disks setups.    From
what I can tell they are using incorrect assumptions and models and
the estimates of risk are a fair number of orders of higher that is
actually the case.

Because of that I am not that worried about the risks to my data.
If I lose a few blocks of data it is not the end of the world and
there is a performance impact.  The data I have would be annoying to
lose parts of it, but it is only annoying.

I have been managing large environments for 20+ years with 1000's
petabyte years.    I have seen a total of 3 events where undetected
corruptions happened, and the way they were detected makes it pretty
unlikely there are more than 2x that number of undetected corruptions
total in the environment.

One was a pci controller being bad corrupting reads (confirmed writes
failed at least 100x less).
One was a pci bus set too fast corrupting reads (confirmed writes
failed at least 100x less).

The 3rd was the worst.  It was an enterprise/near enterprise 1st
vendor array where a very small number (5 out of 1000's of ssds) would
reboot/reset unexpectedly when not completely written data in them.
And I believe they did have the drive write caches disabled, but the
way the SSD's firmware worked if it lost power at the wrong time the
data was not yet really written and was lost.  The 5 disks themselves
seem to be broken.   The biggest mistake the vendor made was not
immediately booting off the array any device that randomly "rebooted"
and or reset without being told to.