Re: Cannot fix Current_Pending_Sector even after check and repair

On Tue, Oct 29, 2019 at 02:34:45AM +0500, Roman Mamedov wrote:
> On Mon, 28 Oct 2019 13:27:32 -0700
> Marc MERLIN <marc@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > Out of desperation, I ran hdrecover /dev/sdx on all my drives. It reads the
> > whole drive block by block, allowing to re-read a block many times to try
> > and rescue data from it, or just re-write it with 0's.
> > That one again, ran fine, no error.
>
> It is weird that this succeeds, usually a "pending sector" means it's
> unreadable until overwritten.
>
> One possibility is that your RAID card either sets up a HPA at the end of each
> drive to store metadata there, or just presents them as somewhat smaller than
> their actual size to the OS. If the pending sectors happen to be in that
> walled off area, then no wonder that no OS tools can get to them.

You are correct, the raid card does wall off a very small portion of the
drive, but I'm pretty sure it's fewer sectors than the number of pending
sectors I already have.

> See `hdparm -N`, or if possible compare `blockdev --getsize64` with the same
> model drives which are not connected via a RAID controller.

Not easy to do, but I do know that indeed not the entire drive is
visible by the OS. Sigh, I hate those silly raid cards without
real passthrough :(

Marc
Microsoft is to operating systems ....
Home page: http://marc.merlins.org/                       | PGP 7F55D5F27AAF9D08