Re: Cannot fix Current_Pending_Sector even after check and repair

On Mon, 28 Oct 2019 13:27:32 -0700
Marc MERLIN <marc@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Out of desperation, I ran hdrecover /dev/sdx on all my drives. It reads the
> whole drive block by block, allowing to re-read a block many times to try
> and rescue data from it, or just re-write it with 0's.
> That one again, ran fine, no error.

It is weird that this succeeds, usually a "pending sector" means it's
unreadable until overwritten.

One possibility is that your RAID card either sets up a HPA at the end of each
drive to store metadata there, or just presents them as somewhat smaller than
their actual size to the OS. If the pending sectors happen to be in that
walled off area, then no wonder that no OS tools can get to them.

See `hdparm -N`, or if possible compare `blockdev --getsize64` with the same
model drives which are not connected via a RAID controller.

--
With respect,
Roman