Re: Degraded RAID1

On 10/14/19 5:44 PM, Wols Lists wrote:
> On 15/10/19 00:56, Curtis Vaughan wrote:
>> I have reason to believe one HD in a RAID1 is dying. But I'm trying to
>> understand what the logs and results of various commands are telling me.
>> Searching on the Internet is very confusing. BTW, this is for and Ubuntu
>> Server 18.04.2 LTS.
> Ubuntu LTS ... hmmm. What does "mdadm --version" tell you?
mdadm - v4.1-rc1 - 2018-03-22

>> It seems to me that the following information is telling me on device is
>> missing. It would seem to me that sda is gone.
> Have you got any diagnostics for sda? Is it still in /dev? has it been
> kicked from the system? Or just the raid?
It is still on the system, so I guess it's just kicked off the raid.

> Take a look at
> https://raid.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/Linux_Raid#When_Things_Go_Wrogn
> Especially the "asking for help" page. It gives you loads of diagnostics
> to run.
Ok, I already went through most of those tests, but still not sure what
they are telling me.
> Basically, we need to know whether sda has died, or whether it's a
> problem with raid (especially with older mdadm, like I suspect you may
> have, the problem could lie there).
>> Anyhow, for example, I received an email:
>>
>> A DegradedArray event had been detected on md device /dev/md0.
> Do you have a spare drive to replace sda? If you haven't, it might be an
> idea to get one - especially if you think sda might have failed. In that
> case, fixing the raid should be pretty easy. So long as fixing it
> doesn't tip sdb over the edge ...

The replacement drive is coming tomorrow. I'm certain now there's a
major issue

with the drive and will be replacing it.

My intent is to basically follow these instructions for replacing the
drive.

sudo mdadm --remove /dev/md1 /dev/sda2
sudo mdadm --remove /dev/md0 /dev/sda1

Remove the bad drive, install new drive

sudo mdadm --add /dev/md1 /dev/sda2
sudo mdadm --add /dev/md1 /dev/sda1

Would that be the correct approach?

Finally could you tell me how to subscribe to this newsgroup through an NNTP client?
I was using it through the gmane server, which seems to have issues of whether it's
being continued or not. And although I can see some recent posts from last week,
there has been nothing new. I've been searching for a NNTP server, but can't find one.
Thanks!