Re: Degraded RAID1

On 15/10/19 00:56, Curtis Vaughan wrote:
> I have reason to believe one HD in a RAID1 is dying. But I'm trying to
> understand what the logs and results of various commands are telling me.
> Searching on the Internet is very confusing. BTW, this is for and Ubuntu
> Server 18.04.2 LTS.

Ubuntu LTS ... hmmm. What does "mdadm --version" tell you?

> It seems to me that the following information is telling me on device is
> missing. It would seem to me that sda is gone.

Have you got any diagnostics for sda? Is it still in /dev? has it been
kicked from the system? Or just the raid?

Take a look at
https://raid.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/Linux_Raid#When_Things_Go_Wrogn
Especially the "asking for help" page. It gives you loads of diagnostics
to run.

Basically, we need to know whether sda has died, or whether it's a
problem with raid (especially with older mdadm, like I suspect you may
have, the problem could lie there).

> Anyhow, for example, I received an email:
>
> A DegradedArray event had been detected on md device /dev/md0.

Do you have a spare drive to replace sda? If you haven't, it might be an
idea to get one - especially if you think sda might have failed. In that
case, fixing the raid should be pretty easy. So long as fixing it
doesn't tip sdb over the edge ...

> Faithfully yours, etc.

Cheers,
Wol