Re: Raid 1 vs Raid 5 suggestion

Am 10.07.19 um 04:18 schrieb Adam Goryachev:
> On 10/7/19 11:57 am, Reindl Harald wrote:
>> Am 10.07.19 um 03:28 schrieb Adam Goryachev:
>>> PS, unless you were referring to 3 disk RAID10 as a joke?
>> exactly
>>
>>> TBH, I really don't understand RAID10, other than improving performance.
>>> For example, in a 10 drive RAID10, you have a higher probability to lose
>>> 2 drives that are a "pair" than losing 3 drives in total from a 7 drive
>>> RAID6 (both events lead to total data loss, although potentially you
>>> could recover more "usable" data from the RAID10 array since you would
>>> more likely have a large amount of contiguous data).
>> RAID10 is about performance *and* redundancy *as well* as storage size
>>
>> as said: 3 disk RAID10 is a joke and a 3 disk RAID1 is waste of size
>>
>> 3x2 TB RAID1 = 2 TB useable
>> 4x2 TB RAID10 = 4 TB useable
>
> So for the cost of an extra 2TB drive, you got:
>
> 1) An extra 2TB capacity - which the OP doesn't need
> 2) Less data protection, you can only lose a MAXIMUM of 2 disks without
> losing data, but if you lose the "wrong" 2 disks, then you lost all your
> data.
>
> Using 4 x 2TB RAID1 (ie, same cost/number of disks) would mean you can
> lose any 3 disks with no data loss, and when you replace them, quick and
> simple recovery process. Even 3 x 2TB allows for ANY 2 disk failure
> without data loss.
>
> The OP stated that performance and capacity was not something that
> interests him. The primary concern was avoiding the loss of data,
> presumably due to drive failure, perhaps availability is also important.
> 2TB is sufficient for 5 years.

don't change the fact that a 2 TB HDD (when we say performance is not
important) costs nothing these days and with RAID1 you are limited to
the write speed of a single disk

so if you are paranoid about drive failures get 6x1 TB = 300 € with 3 TB
useable which is exatcly between 3x2 RAID1 and 4x2 RAID10 :-)

that's 60 € per year over 5 years or one beer less per week....