Re: RAID5 mdadm --grow wrote nothing (Reshape Status : 0% complete) and cannot assemble anymore

On 01/05/19 02:49, Julien ROBIN wrote:
> Sorry for the delay
>

> On 5/1/19 1:39 AM, Wols Lists wrote:> On 30/04/19 09:25, Julien ROBIN
> wrote:
>>> I'm about to play the following command :
>>>
>>> mdadm --create /dev/md0 --level=5 --raid-devices=3 /dev/sdd1 /dev/sde1
>>> /dev/sdb1 --assume-clean
>>>
>>> Is it fine ?
>>
>> You clearly haven't read the raid wiki
>> https://raid.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/Linux_Raid
>>
>> It states NEVER EVER use mdadm --create on an existing array unless you
>> (or the person helping you) really knows what they are doing.
>

> That's not exact, when I finally decided to pressed "enter" I was way
> more sure than the wiki about what I was doing ;)
>
> mdadm failed despite the fact I entirely read (and respected) the wiki
> several times, longs times before, and last night too. I finally got the
> information about :
>  * how to determine the correct parameters when you use --create
>  * what are the exact conditions that should be met to use --create to
> reconfigure an access to an existing array (when mdadm or something else
> blocked/misconfigured the array but data are still available in a
> predictable way). Some others case aren't recoverable with --create.
>
> I found most of those informations elsewhere on the Internet and by
> doing my own tests - there is a lot of things that can be understood and
> explained which would be useful into the wiki. Most interesting parts
> are the cases in which --create can badly rewrite some data on a disk
> (game over), and on which disk (so that in some of those cases, others
> untouched disks may even be used to reconstruct the destroyed one using
> --create with correct parameters - so that the game wasn't really over).
>
> But unfortunately, all of those things aren't into the wiki.
> Well, just to say that I knew what I was doing, as the wiki asked.

Understandably, I'm a little wary of including stuff on the wiki I don't
understand myself. If there's a case study happens on the list I try and
write it up, but so far I've never had to recover a raid myself, and
with an unrelated full-time job and family, spare time to play is hard
to come by :-)

But really, --create should never be necessary. Like in this case, a
"revert reshape" should have worked.

>> Another thing it says is always update to the latest mdadm. I don't
>> remember you telling us what version you're using, and the problem you
>> describe sounds very much like something I suspect has been fixed in the
>> latest versions.
>
> Yes sorry for the delay, I forgot to say it into my previous posts - It
> is running Debian 9 (last apt update/upgrade : mdadm 3.4-4+b1 and linux
> 4.9.0-9-amd64)
>
> I guess that if it was a known bug, corrected some time ago, Debian
> would have included the patch into Debian 9? If I'm true, it means that
> the problem may still exist upstream. If I'm wrong, and Debian "mdadm"
> version is unstable, I won't feel really comfortable using "master / sid
> / experimental" branches for "safety and stability" (that would be
> really uncommon).

Unfortunately, like so many things, I think it's more like "this problem
has gone away", rather than "this problem has been found and fixed".
There've been quite a few fixes recently where deadlocks, incorrect
states, and similar have been fixed and this problem is almost certainly
one of those. So it might have been fixed as a side effect of something
else.

So there's quite a good chance debian mdadm has not had the fix
back-ported. I understand why they don't want to upgrade the version,
but really for a program like this they should. It's simple, and
linux-specific, and backwards-compatible, so it shouldn't cause any
problems.

> By the way, many thanks for your answers. Would be glad if my case
> helped you to find something to improve into mdadm - sorry if not!

Thanks. Hopefully, we'll improve things so we don't get any cases like
this :-) When pigs fly :-)

Cheers,
Wol