Re: RAID5 mdadm --grow wrote nothing (Reshape Status : 0% complete) and cannot assemble anymore

On Tue, Apr 30, 2019 at 01:31:07PM +0200, Julien ROBIN wrote:
> The stackexchange statement is "the problem is that you don't know"

Yes, because it's not always that straightforward and the array
you're trying to re-create might already be many years old.

So this is a reminder to double- and triple-check everything
(and even then use overlays... they're so useful there should
be an easier command to set them up.)

> For beginning with investigations, the only thing I did, this time, that was
> different from others time, was to use "dd if=/dev/urandom of=/dev/sdc
> bs=1024k status=progress" before preparing the disk, just to be sure its
> complete surface is working. Do you think this can be the cause of mdadm
> error? Should the new disk be always full of zeroes before preparing
> partition, then add and grow ?

Nah, as long as dd (and everyone else) was done with the drive
by the time you passed it to mdadm, it's just fine.

Something else must have happened... either a bug (are you using
latest mdadm / kernel versions?), or trying to store the backup
file on the raid itself, or maybe something blocking mdadm
(happened before with selinux/apparmor, I think)
or otherwise something interfering with the process.

If you can reproduce the issue you could investigate in more detail...

Regards
Andreas Klauer