Re: RAID5 mdadm --grow wrote nothing (Reshape Status : 0% complete) and cannot assemble anymore

Ok thanks. I tried to deal with overlays but I understood nothing of what I was writing so it was getting dangerous (if things already gone wrong when I typed simple and right commands, as I believed I was understanding the situation, I wasn't going to take the risk of making it more complicated for me).

The stackexchange statement is "the problem is that you don't know" so I managed to be sure that his statement becomes fake (with an absolutely identical configuration from the same OS and same date, and some blank test too : default values were good)
 * Version : 1.2
 * Layout : left-symmetric
 * Chunk Size : 512K

So as I was now sure to know, I played the command from my second mail, and everything is back online, with my "RAID-VOLUME" ext4 filesystem healthy and available.

Anyway, I'll take a copy of the below output for future, and mark serial number position into the array (serial of /dev/sdd1, then /dev/sde1, then /dev/sdb1) into a file which won't be in the array ;) Because this is enough to be able to recreate the array later with right parameters and right disk positions.

Every 1.0s: mdadm --detail /dev/md0 Pix-Server-Sorel: Tue Apr 30 12:40:20 2019

/dev/md0:
        Version : 1.2
  Creation Time : Tue Apr 30 12:39:24 2019
     Raid Level : raid5
     Array Size : 15627788288 (14903.82 GiB 16002.86 GB)
  Used Dev Size : 7813894144 (7451.91 GiB 8001.43 GB)
   Raid Devices : 3
  Total Devices : 3
    Persistence : Superblock is persistent

  Intent Bitmap : Internal

    Update Time : Tue Apr 30 12:39:25 2019
          State : clean
 Active Devices : 3
Working Devices : 3
 Failed Devices : 0
  Spare Devices : 0

         Layout : left-symmetric
     Chunk Size : 512K

           Name : Pix-Server-Sorel:0  (local to host Pix-Server-Sorel)
           UUID : 8b28c8aa:28bb7706:fd24a971:7fc464cc
         Events : 1

    Number   Major   Minor   RaidDevice State
       0       8       49        0      active sync   /dev/sdd1
       1       8       65        1      active sync   /dev/sde1
       2       8       17        2      active sync   /dev/sdb1

Thanks for you answer Andreas, as I was waiting at least one expert look before typing anything.

Is it the right place to make some bug report for what happened here? Because what caused this mess cannot be considered as normal : * Add a prepared disk (unformatted partition) to the array (check with mdadm --detail if it now appears as spare) * grow the array to its current size +1 : then the array was stuck and kind of "crashed".

I feel like nobody knows why this happened. And is this precise case, nobody knew what should exactly be done - its a chance I noticed there were absolutely no reshaping activity with bwm-ng. And there is some others people online who asked for help for the same reason (but without having 13.10 TiB of data into it) so the problem is recurrent.

Worst, documentation says to create a backup file to be sure it can be recovered in case of incident in early stages, but doing so, it completely messes the early stage with the Array and the backup is unusable.

Of course RAID will never protect from mistakes, but mdadm is not supposed to be the mistake! This is why I believe something should be understood and corrected about what causes this recurrent case.

For beginning with investigations, the only thing I did, this time, that was different from others time, was to use "dd if=/dev/urandom of=/dev/sdc bs=1024k status=progress" before preparing the disk, just to be sure its complete surface is working. Do you think this can be the cause of mdadm error? Should the new disk be always full of zeroes before preparing partition, then add and grow ?

Best regards,
Julien ROBIN