Re: best way to replace all disks

Am 22.04.19 um 16:24 schrieb Carsten Aulbert:
> On 4/22/19 4:07 PM, Gandalf Corvotempesta wrote:
>> What I would do is the following, tell me if it's wrong or if there is
>> a better and safer way:
>>
>> - power off
>> - replace one disk (keep the old one safe)
>> - power on and live boot a live image
>> - start the replication
>> - repeat for each disk in the server
>>
>> as long I don't mount the local storage, in case of failure, I still
>> have the old disk identical to the failed one...
> Frankly, I would opt either to get a new server - depending how old very
> very very very old is - or boot a live disk and copy the *contents* of
> everything over to one of the new disks attached to the system via USB
> or any other means (spare on-board SATA) as my guess would be a single
> disk should be able to hold everything you currently have.

you really really don't install from scratch in 2019 as you didn't in
2014 or before

it don't matter how old the server is, you just replace disks and when
you get a new server ou take all your disks and place it in the new one

* first: replace one disk after the next with typical rebuild
* second: consider how to grow your RAID
* third: grow your filesystems on the now bigger RAID