Re: best way to replace all disks

Hi

On 4/22/19 4:07 PM, Gandalf Corvotempesta wrote:
> What I would do is the following, tell me if it's wrong or if there is
> a better and safer way:
>
> - power off
> - replace one disk (keep the old one safe)
> - power on and live boot a live image
> - start the replication
> - repeat for each disk in the server
>
> as long I don't mount the local storage, in case of failure, I still
> have the old disk identical to the failed one...
Frankly, I would opt either to get a new server - depending how old very
very very very old is - or boot a live disk and copy the *contents* of
everything over to one of the new disks attached to the system via USB
or any other means (spare on-board SATA) as my guess would be a single
disk should be able to hold everything you currently have.

After this was done successfully, put all old disks out of the system as
a safe-guard if something goes terribly wrong.

Then put in all new disks EXCEPT the one where your copy is on. Boot the
live system again, create your mirrors/raids (some may be incomplete at
the start) as you like and then start copying data back from the "copy
disk".

Once done and verified[1] you should be able to re-partition the "copy
disk" and make all mirrors/raids complete again.

Having all that said, for servers older than 8-10yrs it would probably
be better to get a new set of hardware and copy data between both systems.

Cheers

Carsten

[1] if you OS is on these disks as well, you may want to check if you
can boot your system from the new disks!
--
Dr. Carsten Aulbert, Max Planck Institute for Gravitational Physics,
Callinstraße 38, 30167 Hannover, Germany