Re: smart short test crashes software raid array?

On 10/03/19 17:28, Reindl Harald wrote:
>> Which is why I said in my original email that you need to make sure the
>> > timeout script runs ...
>> >
>> > These drives *are* sub-optimal in that (a) they are unfit for raid use
>> > "out of the box", and (b) they cannot be configured suitably for such use.
> well, you need to change the default for a lot of disks in case of RAID,
> you need or should change them for virtual machines (vmware tools do
> that) or you risk fatal errors due storage migrations
>
> what are the cases where these short timeouts are really helpful given
> that on 10 out of 10 installs i need to change them?

This makes you sound like a power user. Bully for you. But too many
people - naive hobbyists and professionals alike - get burnt. I've got
two Barracudas where I should change the timeouts (they're currently
raid-1 so I gather that's not TOO serious :-), but do I really want to
configure my system so a disk problem causes a three-minute hiccup, when
the system SHOULD be capable of recognising, and dealing with, a problem
in seconds?

I think you're making the mistake that you know what you're doing, and
you think everyone else should too ... guess what, other people have
more important (to them) things to think about.

Cheers,
Wol