Re: smart short test crashes software raid array?

Am 10.03.19 um 16:10 schrieb Wols Lists:
> On 10/03/19 11:14, Reindl Harald wrote:

>>> I suspect that Wols means that these drive models cannot set SCTERC so
>>> will retry for a very long time, requiring the block layer timeouts to
>>> be set to 2+ minutes or else risk drive being kicked out by the kernel
>>> whenever there is a minor problem.
>>>
>>> If so, this a factual thing, in that manufacturers really did produce
>>> drives that are sub-optimal for RAID.
>>
>> no, the problem is that you need to change that timeouts because of bad
>> defaults
>>
> Which is why I said in my original email that you need to make sure the
> timeout script runs ...
>
> These drives *are* sub-optimal in that (a) they are unfit for raid use
> "out of the box", and (b) they cannot be configured suitably for such use.

well, you need to change the default for a lot of disks in case of RAID,
you need or should change them for virtual machines (vmware tools do
that) or you risk fatal errors due storage migrations

what are the cases where these short timeouts are really helpful given
that on 10 out of 10 installs i need to change them?