Re: smart short test crashes software raid array?

    Scatology aside, that is correct, and software RAID doesn't particularly require anything in the way of high quality disks. In fact, for a given load, RAID4 and above will stress each individual drive less than a single drive attempting to deliver the same data rate.  On the other hand, until somewhat recently, the vast majority of people implementing RAID arrays have been people who require both high performance and high reliability as much or more than large amounts of storage, and for a business, spending an extra few thousand dollars for enterprise quality drives is of little consequence compared to risking the data to even a tiny extent.  In addition, there are some (high end) drive controllers that just refuse to play nicely with low cost drives.

    I have several RAID arrays here, none of them with enterprise class drives, and while I have had my share of drive failures, I haven't had any unusual problems with any of my arrays except those I caused myself.  Let's not talk about those, OK?