Re: Raid5 four drives missing

> Hi all,
>
> My friend is running a Debian 8 server with 48TB raid5 array running
> fine since 2016, but suddenly it failed last night around 9PM,
> reporting four drives missing. See below all devices details.
> I'm suspecting his disk controller with four SATA ports failed, as the
> failed drives were attached on it. So, I believe these four missing
> devices (sdk,sdl,sdm and sdn) are in good shape.
> However they got out of sync with the array. I'm wondering how the
> array got out of sync when it was not able to access these devices ?
> Can we recover the array from this failure?

Possibly, as mentioned by Mikael, but there are good chances for corruption. Also, keep in mind that 13 drives in a RAID-5 and no spare isn't what I'd recommend - better use RAID-6 *and* a spare. It wouldn't have helped much here, but still, better keep redundancy high.

PS: I would check cables and clean connectors with isopropanol and a clean brush to sort out connection issues. Four drives dropping out at the same time is usually just a bad cable/connection. Also - setup something like Zabbix to monitor the system so that you can get an alert once something like this happens again.

roy
--
Roy Sigurd Karlsbakk
(+47) 98013356