Re: RAID1 scrub ignoring read errors?

On 03/12/18 17:12, Niklas Hambüchen wrote:
> From a short look at the current changelog, it seems like they do indeed perform the promised backporting:
>
>   http://changelogs.ubuntu.com/changelogs/pool/main/m/mdadm/mdadm_3.3-2ubuntu7.6/changelog
>
> Though I cannot easily judge whether this includes all fixes they should be cherry-picking.

Much as I don't really understand the changelog - or know which changes
should be cherry-picked - it looks like they are NOT picking the
necessary changes.

Pretty much everything looks like the support structure round mdadm, and
I had difficulty spotting any cherry-picked changes that were mdadm
itself. Given that mdadm is known to be buggy, that's worrying. And it
*should* be perfectly safe to just upgrade mdadm - it's
backwards-compatible and a user-space program, so is not critical in any
way towards correct system functionality.

This is where I think cherry-picking rather than wholesale upgrading is
a bad idea - I understand why cherry-picking is a good idea, but those
reasons don't apply here.

Cheers,
Wol