Re: RAID1 scrub ignoring read errors?

Dear Niklas,

In message <0fe726fc-c58d-c18f-f81d-f4082c185107@xxxxxx> you wrote:

> This makes sense.
>
> But does it apply here, given the flood of read errors in my dmesg in just a single scrub?
> The probability for that many errors for a single pass over 3 GB seems very low.

Did you notice this part of the error logs:

    sd 2:0:0:0: [sdb] tag#2 FAILED Result: hostbyte=DID_OK driverbyte=DRIVER_SENSE
    sd 2:0:0:0: [sdb] tag#2 Sense Key : Medium Error [current] [descriptor]
    sd 2:0:0:0: [sdb] tag#2 Add. Sense: Unrecovered read error - auto reallocate failed
-----------------------------------------------------------------^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

This typically happens if the disk has already a large number of
sectors reallocated and is running out of spare sectors.

You should run "smartctl -a /dev/sdb" and check the rsults of the ID
#5 ("Reallocated_Sector_Ct") entry.  A few (single digit number) of
reallocated sectors are normal, but a large number indicates
problems - if you see anything > 100 there, you can consider the
disk to be in the process of failing.

I have seen many cases where this number has been constand for
years, growing by 1 maybe once or twice per year, and suddenly it
would start to grow on a daily rate.  If this happens, it is wise to
check where your spare disks are stored, and schedule a disk swap.

Do you watch your disks for critical SMART entries like
Reallocated_Sector_Ct, Current_Pending_Sector and
Offline_Uncorrectable on a regulkar base?

What are these numbers for your  sdb  drive?

Best regards,

Wolfgang Denk

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd@xxxxxxx
Brain: an apparatus with which we think we think.    - Ambrose Bierce