Re: PCIe SATA controllers

On Thu, Aug 9, 2018 at 1:33 PM Alex <mysqlstudent@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I've just purchased an Asus Z370-A motherboard to replace my older
> desktop board. It includes 6 SATA6 ports but I need a few more.
>
> Do you have any recommendations?
>
> All the regular controllers I've found are PCIe v2.0 and most are x1.
> Is that even fast enough for 6mbs? Is the 3.0 standard just not widely
> adopted yet?

Are you using "traditional" spinning platter-style drives, or SSDs?
And what is the role of this server/storage system?

If you're doing something that's not IO intensive, for example, big
media storage on a home file server, then you generally don't have to
worry too much about performance.  (But don't go absolute cheapest, go
with the cheapest *mature* device(s) that are known to have good Linux
support.)

I use the IBM ServeRAID M1015 cards.  These are PCIe gen2 x8 cards
that have two SAS2 ports (you can use SAS to 4x SATA breakout cables
for eight total SATA connections).  These are re-branded LSI 9220-8i
cards.  I haven't bought one in a long time, but they used to be cheap
and plentiful on ebay.  But the LSI SAS2008 chip has been around for a
long time, has stable Linux drives, and good community support:
    https://www.servethehome.com/ibm-m1015-part-1-started-lsi-92208i/

Now if you're building something with all SSDs, and/or have very
specific performance requirements, you'll want to do more research.
But for modest applications (where spinning drives are OK, e.g. home
file server, lightweight small office duties), I think it's hard to
beat the above suggestion.