Re: Adding a USB device to a SATA-only array

Hey gang, thanks for all the great opinions about how I should deploy
disks. Fascinating stuff. It must be really neat living in the world
where things are only done The Correct Way(tm, pat pend, offer not
valid in Nebraska or Louth) and you have hardware with all the gubbins
you desire - and a budget to match. Seriously, great place. Must
visit.

In my case I have some HP Microservers with four disks each. I pair up
two disks in each to make two RAID1 devices and then put LVM on top.
Sometimes a disk dies. Sad but true. And sometimes I'm a bit busy so
it would be nice to plug in an external USB drive and start the
process of replacing the dead disk without having to power down the
server and replace the disk. The microserver lacks hot-swappable SATA
so USB is the only option. I do not have cleaning staff for my house -
my cleaning budget mainly goes to cleaning staff for my moon base. So
I can rest easy about people accidentally removing that hot-swapped
USB disk and instead stress about the ridiculous health, safety and
labour regulations on Luna.

This bug however affects things beyond mixed SATA/USB deployments.
There are discussions about it showing up with dm-crypt for instance.
And yes, it is very common for people to deploy LVM on top of mdadm
RAID devices. So working out such cases out might be nice. And yes,
it's very possible it's not in the RAID system, but some feedback from
yourselves might move solutions along.

Anyway, you guys do you. I just offered some feedback where data was
being silently corrupted which seems like a thing, I dunno, people
doing storage software might care about. I have to get back to disk
funeral planning and dealing with this complaint about bunions caused
by magnetic boots.

Cheers!

Kevin

On Sun, Jul 15, 2018 at 11:42 PM, Roger Heflin <rogerheflin@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Not to mention most motherboards only have at most 2 or 3 at most USB
> ports.   And doing high bandwidth on shared USB ports *WILL* generally
> behave very unreliably.  And almost all of the cards also only add a
> single port (I know of one usb2.0 card that has 4 actual non-hub real
> usb ports).     A SATA multiplier with all of its potential issues is
> a much better solution than attempting to put several disks on the
> same USB hub.
>
> On Sun, Jul 15, 2018 at 3:23 PM, Rudy Zijlstra
> <rudy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>>> It seems it can be fixed. Are there any plans to move such
>>> changes into the mainline kernel?
>>>

>> Cannot be fixed. The big problem with USB is the not-so-dependable
>> connection. This can come from multiple sources:
>> - bad cable
>> - bad connector (too often used for example)
>> - someone who does not know what the USB is for temporarily removing it
>> (for example for cleaning purposes)
>> - ...
>>
>> Cheers
>>
>> Rudy