Re: Ubuntu 16.04 mdadm bug or feature?

On 06/01/2018 03:53 AM, Mikael Abrahamsson wrote:
> On Thu, 31 May 2018, Bill Broadley wrote:
>
>> Bug?  Or maybe just an improvement to 4.0?  Should I file a bug with ubuntu?
>
> What you ran into is not uncommon. Ubuntu, Debian and similar systems, will
> typically not rev to new major versions of tools, but instead just fix serious
> bugs in their existing versions by backporting. Mdadm on the other hand, puts
> bug fixes in the latest version, and there is not much fixing of older versions.

True and I get that.  But it does seem pretty serious that --force won't ignore
the most minor of inconsistencies.  This is far from my first mdadm --assemble
--force.  Typically if there's not a serious hardware issue things go well.

> It's very common that we recommend to build the latest mdadm version and try
> that, just as you did, and it's not uncommon that it solves the problem.

16.04 comes with 3.3-2ubuntu7.6, do you think mdadm 3.3 could have had a bug
where it wouldn't clear a failed drive flag and accept a drive that's got an
event counter off by 5?

> I doubt ubuntu will put in latest mdadm in 16.04 because of a bug report, but
> you might want to try it. Might help in the long run to potentially change their
> policy.

Sure, generally they wouldn't jump a major version.  But fixing --force seems
like a reasonable request.