Re: Ubuntu 16.04 mdadm bug or feature?

On Thu, 31 May 2018, Bill Broadley wrote:

Bug? Or maybe just an improvement to 4.0? Should I file a bug with ubuntu?

What you ran into is not uncommon. Ubuntu, Debian and similar systems, will typically not rev to new major versions of tools, but instead just fix serious bugs in their existing versions by backporting. Mdadm on the other hand, puts bug fixes in the latest version, and there is not much fixing of older versions.

It's very common that we recommend to build the latest mdadm version and try that, just as you did, and it's not uncommon that it solves the problem.

I doubt ubuntu will put in latest mdadm in 16.04 because of a bug report, but you might want to try it. Might help in the long run to potentially change their policy.

--
Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swmike@xxxxxxxxx