Re: force remapping a pending sector in sw raid5 array

On Mon, Feb 12, 2018 at 12:16:15PM -0500, Phil Turmel wrote:

> >> No.  The feature is incomplete.  The only mitigation is to turn it off.
> >
> > I had a quick look but didn't really find how to turn it off after the fact
> > (not at array creation time, but after it's already been created).
> >
> > Can you suggest how?
>
> mdadm --assemble --update=no-bbl

Thanks.

> There's another (undocumented?) option required when there are entries
> in the list -- you'll have to dig that out for your situation.

That situation is gone, I was not able to clear the pending sectors even by
re-writing every block of the drive with badblocks, so I returned the drives
and got some better ones.
Bad blocks on a "new" drive is bad enough, but then having the drive refuse
to remap them, or apparently in my case fail to update the smart counters
once the blocks were overwritten with good known data, is not ok.

Marc
Microsoft is to operating systems ....
Home page: http://marc.merlins.org/