Re: force remapping a pending sector in sw raid5 array

On 11/02/18 17:13, Phil Turmel wrote:
> On 02/10/2018 04:43 PM, Mateusz Korniak wrote:
>> On Friday 09 of February 2018 15:13:26 Phil Turmel wrote:
>>> If you have bad block lists enabled in your array, MD will *never* try
>>> to fix the underlying sectors

I've just been reading the man pages. This is exactly what IS supposed
to happen (that is, MD is *supposed* to fix the underlying sectors).

>> As far I was able to find, failed write marks sector in BBL.
>> Does data is saved under different location when such write fails for later
>> reads?
>
> No.  That is why this is a misfeature that should never have been turned
> on by default.

I'm not going to argue about whether the feature should or should not
have been turned on - I think the reality is that the feature is
confused, and almost certainly buggy as a result, but imho it is a
feature that *should* be enabled - by default - if only it worked :-(

For a normal, properly functioning array, bad-blocks should be both
enabled, AND EMPTY. That it has entries you can't get rid of implies
it's buggy, as far as I can tell.

Cheers,
Wol