Re: mdadm stuck at 0% reshape after grow

On 06/12/17 20:19, Edward Kuns wrote:
> 2) Wol, should there be a section on the Wiki about "Things you should
> make sure you have configured" that includes disabling the BBL (unless
> you know what you're doing), making sure you're scrubbing regularly,
> making sure you have drives that support scterc (or if you don't,
> configuring /sys/block/<device>/device/timeout), and so on?  Perhaps a
> list of information you should have handy before disaster strikes to
> make life a lot easier if it does?  E.g., running lsdrv or dumping
> partition tables to text files or listing information about your RAID
> configuration and LVM, etc.

A lot of that information is there. I'm just very conscious of the need
to make everything read well - too much documentation feels like it's
been thrown together, and is a horrible read.

One piece of documentation is a perfect example of how readers can miss
stuff because it's too obvious ... :-) I had trouble finding out how to
do some operation to do with text entry in a word processor. I couldn't
find any reference to it in the index. I searched high and low. Then
somebody pointed it out to me in the manual - it was repeated on nearly
every other page!

I'm planning to condense a lot of this thread into the "scary things
that are easy to fix" page, but your idea of a checklist page sounds
very good. Expect it to appear some time "soon" :-)

(Note also that a lot of this stuff I don't have personal experience of,
so it only tends to make its way into the wiki when something crops up
on the mailing list.)

Cheers,
Wol