Where to best put the journal device physically?

Dear Linux RAID folks,

One stupid practical question, for using the journalling support [1].

Currently, enclosures with 16 3.5 inch drives and hardware RAID controllers are used here. Almost all systems have such a hardware RAID controller, so moving a enclosure is as simple as plugging the cable into a different controller card, and updating some maps.

When using a software RAID with an SSD as a journal device, I see the following options.

1. We need to keep track if a system has a journal device installed, and if not install one, when moving an enclosure. (Make sure there are as many slots for SSDs as you have enclosures.) 2. We make sure, in every system, there is a spare SSD drive, usable as journal device. (Make sure there as many slots for SSDs as you have enclosures.) 3. There are enclosures, which provide a slot for such a journal device. Maybe even battery backed?

Are there more options?

It’d be awesome, if you shared, how you deal with this, or point me to the right direction.

Kind regards,

Paul

[1] https://kernelnewbies.org/Linux_4.11#head-b75ccfe3ece97a066328c2b2a782434291bf00c6