Re: Fault tolerance with badblocks

On Mon, May 8, 2017 at 2:27 PM, Anthony Youngman
<antlists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Yes you have saved a sector sparing. Note that a consumer 3TB drive can
> return, on average, one error every time it's read from end to end 3 times,
> and still be considered "within spec" ie "not faulty" by the manufacturer.

All specs say "less than" which means it's a maximum permissible rate,
not an average. We have no idea what the minimum error rate is - we
being consumers. It's possible high volume users (e.g. Backblaze) have
data on this by now.

> And that's a *brand* *new* drive. That's why building a large array using
> consumer drives is a stupid idea - 4 x 3TB drives and a *within* *spec*
> array must expect to handle at least one error every scrub.

The requirement for any large array is quickly abandoning reattempted
reads in favor of reporting a read error. That's the main reason why
consumer drives are a bad idea, is that it can hang user space waiting
on the long recovery of a drive.

--
Chris Murphy