Re: Fault tolerance with badblocks

On 9 May 2017, Reindl Harald verbalised:

> Am 09.05.2017 um 13:15 schrieb Nix:
>> (Or were you not running any long self-tests? That's at least as risky
>> as not scrubbing, IMNSHO.)
>
> no i do both regulary
>
> * smart short self-test daily
> * smart long self-test weekly
> * raid scrub weekly
>
> and no - doing a long-smart-test daily is not a good solution, the
> RAID10 array in my office makes *terrible noises* when the SMART

Agreed, though in my case not because of noise, but just because the
test takes fourteen hours and noticeably degrades disk performance while
it runs. I'm doing a long self-test monthly and frankly I'm wondering if
every three months is sufficient.

> well, that machine has not lost a single drive, a clone of it acting
> as homeserver 365/24/7 has lost a dozen in the same time....

A *dozen*?! In six years? Even with a big array you've been incredibly
unlucky, or you have young children and a corresponding disaster rate.
(Meanwhile, my last machine, with much-maligned WD GreenPower
variable-spin-rate disks, was completely happy for eight years, zero
failures, zero reallocations that I can see. I can only hope my new lot
are that good.)