Re: SAS disk from RAID card (no RAID mode) problems

Joe> On 12/27/2016 11:57 AM, IW News wrote:

Joe> [...]

>>> I don't know that there isn't support, there has been commits to that
>>> driver
>>> pretty regularly even when i was having problems. I just found there
>>> was no
>>> support for my particular chipset. I hope you fare better than I did.
>>> Contact
>>> linux-scsi as was suggested, maybe they can help.
>>>
>> I already contacted. No answer.
>>
>> Maybe there is no mvsas developer active there now.

Joe> mvsas support under Linux is terrible.  I know you probably don't
Joe> want to hear this, but get another card.  Someone recommended an
Joe> LSI9211 card.  Past experience with those have been spotty.  They
Joe> are cheap, but I'd recommend a 9207-8i.  Costs a little more, but
Joe> generally works very well.

I bought one and it's been running rock solid in my home system for
months and months.  Got it off ebay for around $120 or so, forget the
exact price.

Joe> Again, if you are using an mvsas based card, you should expect
Joe> problems and data corruption.  If you use the 9207, it should
Joe> work nicely.

I concur, LSI makes some solid gear.  Get the ones without the RAID
ROM too if you can, or flash it and just use it as a JBOD controller.

Mine is:

02:00.0 Serial Attached SCSI controller: LSI Logic / Symbios Logic SAS2008 PCI-Express Fusion-MPT SAS-2 [Falcon] (rev 03)