Re: SAS disk from RAID card (no RAID mode) problems

On Tuesday, December 27, 2016 12:09:52 PM MST Joe Landman wrote:
> On 12/27/2016 11:57 AM, IW News wrote:
>
> [...]
> >>
> >> I don't know that there isn't support, there has been commits to that
> >> driver
> >> pretty regularly even when i was having problems. I just found there
> >> was no
> >> support for my particular chipset. I hope you fare better than I did.
> >> Contact
> >> linux-scsi as was suggested, maybe they can help.
> >
> > I already contacted. No answer.
> >
> > Maybe there is no mvsas developer active there now.
>
> mvsas support under Linux is terrible.   I know you probably don't want
> to hear this, but get another card.   Someone recommended an LSI9211
> card.  Past experience with those have been spotty.  They are cheap, but
> I'd recommend a 9207-8i.  Costs a little more, but generally works very
> well.
>
> Again, if you are using an mvsas based card, you should expect problems
> and data corruption.  If you use the 9207, it should work nicely.
>
> The windows world has all sorts of workarounds for wonky cards/chipsets
> in their drivers.  Generally, if the driver is not actively supported in
> linux and up to date, you are likely going to have problems.  If others
> are reporting problems (google "mvsas problems in linux" if you want to
> see how long people have been having problems with the cards), stay far
> away from it.

I had hoped things improved :( when I was having problems with my mvsas based
card, there was someone making commits to the code from marvell and I got some
kind of response once or twice, but stopped replying and problems were never
fixed.

I however haven't had any real issues with my dirt cheap ($50-100) IBM M1015
cards (I have three). A lot of people have had good results with them.
Technically its a 9220, which is quite similar to a 9211, but has some slight
differences.

--
Thomas Fjellstrom
thomas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx