Re: WARNING: mismatch_cnt is not 0 on <array device>

On 11/08/2016 02:38 PM, Phil Turmel wrote:
> On 11/08/2016 02:53 PM, Benjammin2068 wrote:
>> On 11/08/2016 12:47 PM, Benjammin2068 wrote:
>> Now that I think about it -- and have been talking out loud to myself (I don't think I'm crazy)...
>>
>> A parallel to all this is:
>>
>> I don't think the mismatch_cnt started showing up until I moved from RAID5 to RAID6.
>>
>> :O
>>
>> How painful is it to switch back to RAID5 to test that theory?
> Don't.  Sounds like raid6's stricter calculations are catching a real problem.

Ok -- no switching back to RAID5.

> Do you have ECC RAM?

Yes.

> If so, are you getting any machine check exceptions?

not getting any machine check problems (I looked)

> If not, have you done a thorough memtest any time in the recent past?

Yes. When I started getting the mismatch counts, I took the system down and ran MEMtest on this through a couple of passes.

no problem.

> If it's not memory, can you exercise the controller channels heavily to
> see if they drop from errors?

I could but haven't -- any recommendations on tools out there?

Also, I've also wondered if the raid-check that happens on Sunday isn't actually part of that kind of problem.

i.e. if I didn't do the weekly check, the drives don't get slammed anywhere  near as much the rest of the week.

Does mismatch_cnt only change value during a check -- or does it happen with each operation?

> Have you added up the peak current draws of your drives to make sure
> your power supply keeps up when all drives are writing simultaneously
> (common with parity raid)?

Not exactly. but can do that. The system has a 650W supply -- I'll go do a power check and work that against the known drives in the system.

This is a "server chassis" though which came with the 8 slots in the front to power drives - so it's not exactly a "home chassis" that I put in a 300W and then jammed full of drives.

Still -- that's a reasonable question and I'll investigate.

> One more: do you have swap on top of md raid?

No. I've seen about mismatch on RAID1 causing mismatch counts.

However, I am running a VM on this RAID volume (VirtualBox and a reasonably sleepy instance of Win7_64) and have pondered that.

 -Ben