Re: WARNING: mismatch_cnt is not 0 on <array device>

On 28/09/16 03:30, Benjammin2068 wrote:
On 09/27/2016 11:45 AM, Wols Lists wrote:
I'm thinking about all this. The second section is all about recovering
a failing/ed array, and is new. The first section is the original,
that's being updated. It just feels totally wrong to me now, as it's
becoming a jumbled mess of old and new.

What I'm probably going to do, is create a new first section about
setting up a raid system. That means that a section on monitoring will
actually make sense and fit between setting it up, and fixing problems.

(And all the old stuff will end up in the "software archaeology"
section, so people who are still running ancient systems can find it :-)

That would be awesome.

  There was a shell script out there already for MUNIN, but I modified it a little to add thresholds that throw up flags. I might change some more to handle different thresholds for different devices or the ability to monitor only RAIDs that matter.

I have smartctl running for all my drives -- but that doesn't help me at the mdadm level.

While you're in the docs adding stuff about mismatch_cnt, is there anything that can help someone backtrace which block cause the count to go up? This would help us mere mortals maybe go back to inspect a block or a file or something to make sure it's not corrupted.

Just out of interest, but I'm not sure how useful your munin monitoring will be... AFAIK, the mismatch_cnt value is only updated when you run a check, which would probably take some number of hours to complete. I would guess that you are unlikely to run more than one check a week or month.... and as soon as there is any change (unless you know the explanation) then you should be looking to resolve that.

Unless of course I'm wrong about when the count is updated?

Regards,
Adam
--
Adam Goryachev Website Managers www.websitemanagers.com.au