Re: raid 5 crashed

On 01/06/16 11:46, Edward Kuns wrote:
> My understanding is that mdraid will kick out a drive with an
> unrecoverable hardware error on a single sector.  (Is this incorrect?)

On Tue, May 31, 2016 at 11:07 PM, Brad Campbell
<lists2009@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Yes, that is incorrect. If your timeouts are configured correctly the drive
> will report an uncorrectable error up the stack. MD will try to get the data
> from elsewhere and it will try to re-write the bad sector with the
> reconstructed data.

Ah ha.  OK.  That makes a lot more sense.  Thanks.  And I *know* I had
bad timeouts on consumer drives before I replaced this drive.

> I do daily short SMART tests, weekly long SMART tests and monthly "check"
> scrubs of the RAID(s). I'm not saying it's best practice, but I've had
> several drives turn up SMART failures and managed to address those before it
> became an issue on any of the arrays.

As far as SMART, I'm running with the default Fedora behavior in that
area.  I don't believe it does any automatic tests, unless the default
logwatch behavior does SMART tests.  I'll add this to my "todo" list.
Thanks.

              Eddie