Re: Raid server Motherboard recommendation.

On 03/18/2016 05:41 PM, Dave Stevens wrote:
Quoting Ram Ramesh <rramesh2400@xxxxxxxxx>:

On 03/17/2016 04:52 AM, Andreas Klauer wrote:
On Wed, Mar 16, 2016 at 05:38:14PM -0500, Ram Ramesh wrote:
If you don't mind, could you share with me the standalone card that you
use?
I think this is the same I use:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/PCI-E-Express-SATA3-SATA3-0-6Gb-s-eSATA-SATA-III-Card-ASMEDIA1061-/231378681315

It has two ports, and you can choose between internal and external via 4 jumpers per port.

You also find this Asmedia chipset on a lot of Asus/Asrock mainboards that have two additional SATA ports.

BTW, have you stressed your card through a rebuild/checkarray?
I run checkarray every day (each day a different part of disk so entire disk is covered in a week or so) with no issue.

I also mirror my single SSD disk to the HDD RAID once a week.

I can run a mkfs.ext4 -c -c on a LVM partition at a later time, but so far no issues whatsoever.

Regards
Andreas Klauer
Thanks.

I saw similar one on Amazon too: http://www.amazon.com/Express-Adapter-Converter-ASMEDIA-ASM1061/dp/B008BZAVVE

I am getting asrock extreme6 and that will be enough for the next 6months (eventually I want to have a total of 12). Before that time, I will probably buy the card you have given unless I get nervous about ebay vendor and choose amazon version.

Regards
Rameshn

Hi Ramesh,

Why are you considering only hardware RAID? Software RAID is basically free and you needn't be concerned about board manufacturers going out of business or changing the board BIOS and so on.

Dave

Dave,

Not sure what you mean. I am only talking about mdadm. I just needed extra sata ports to hook up more drives. None of my conversation is about hardware raid. I have never used or wanted to have hardware raid.

Ramesh