Re: Recommendations for RAID setup needed

Hi,

> An addition.  From hdparm(8) manpage:
>
>        -J     Get/set the Western Digital (WD) Green Drive's  "idle3"  timeout
>               value.   This  timeout  controls  how  often the drive parks its
>               heads and enters a low power  consumption  state.   The  factory
>               default  is  eight  (8) seconds, which is a very poor choice for
>               use with Linux.  Leaving it at the default will result  in  hun‐
>               dreds  of  thousands  of head load/unload cycles in a very short
>               period of time.  The drive mechanism is only rated  for  300,000
>               to  1,000,000  cycles, so leaving it at the default could result
>               in premature failure, not to mention the performance  impact  of
>               the drive often having to wake-up before doing routine I/O.
>
>               WD  supply  a WDIDLE3.EXE DOS utility for tweaking this setting,
>               and you should use that program instead of hdparm if at all pos‐
>               sible.   The  reverse-engineered implementation in hdparm is not
>               as complete as the original official  program,  even  though  it
>               does  seem  to  work  on  at a least a few drives.  A full power
>               cycle is required for any change  in  setting  to  take  effect,
>               regardless of which program is used to tweak things.
>
>               A setting of 30 seconds is recommended for Linux use.  Permitted
>               values are from 8 to 12 seconds, and from 30 to 300  seconds  in
>               30-second  increments.   Specify  a value of zero (0) to disable
>               the WD idle3 timer completely (NOT RECOMMENDED!).

Thanks very much for the info. I posted to the WD community forum and
didn't receive any responses, so this is much appreciated. I'd like to
understand why disabling it isn't recommended (that's what I was going
to do), but I'll have to just accept this for now and move on.

In addition to hdparm, there's also the idle3-tools package and the
idle3ctl binary.

Thanks,
Alex