Re: Recommendations for RAID setup needed

On Tue, 15 Sep 2015 19:08:31 +0100
Wols Lists <antlists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Throwing something completely different into the mix, how about
> considering btrfs? It's not 100% solid yet, so you need to be careful
> with it, but if you back up with rsync and the "in place" option, it'll
> give you full backups for the cost of incremental.

However its RAID5/6 is not ready yet and even RAID1/10 lack some important
features compared to mdadm, not to mention performance optimizations.

On the other hand I have a great success running Btrfs without utilizing its
own RAID features, but as a regular filesystem on top of MD RAID5/6.

> What you MUST do is KEEP AN EYE ON DISK SPACE! The main failure mode for
> btrfs I'm aware of, is that a disk full can cause a fatal error. As in
> "I've just trashed the disk - it's 'format c:' time". So if you hit 80%
> or so, alarm bells should be ringing. Very loud.

And this is just an absolute deranged baseless FUD today, or maybe something
that might have been true about 5 years ago -- eons in Btrfs development.

--
With respect,
Roman