Re: Recommendations for RAID setup needed

Hi,

>>> What disks are you using? Are they proper raid disks? A 12TB array can
>>> have a soft read error every complete pass, and still be within the
>>> disk-manufacturer's specs. If your disks are not raid-compliant, this
>>> will stop your array from rebuilding, ever!
>>
>> All four are WD30EFRX-68EUZN0. They're not the cheapest WD disks, but
>> they're also not the ones with the 5yr warranty. The last array I
>> built using disks with 5yr warranty exceeded their capacity before the
>> warranty expired.
>
> Umm, 1st google result showed this:
> http://community.wd.com/t5/Desktop-Mobile-Drives/New-WD30EFRX-Red-Drive-Idle3-Timer-Set-to-8-Seconds-High-LCC-in/td-p/648821/page/5

I was really just looking for general input on RAID5 vs RAID6, but
that is good information. I knew the drives weren't basic desktop
drives and would be generally suitable for building a software RAID
array.

Are you familiar with the idle3 time? It appears the idle3-tools can
be used to disable the idle3 timer entirely, which would disable
parking the head at all, correct?

> You might want to verify that setting before using in production, and
> probably a quick search/read on any other issues.

Perhaps I should have posted here prior to ordering the drives. Do you
have any recommendations for 3TB SATA disks I should have used?

> That depends on your requirements. What are the implications (for you) if
> all the data is lost because two drives failed close to the same time? Is
> that resulting cost more or less than getting a fourth drive and using
> RAID6?

I was hoping for some kind of emphatic NO, that it's a really bad
idea. I'll consider it further, but probably choose RAID6 then anyway.

> Take a look at BackupPC (on sourceforge). It is a "perl script" that uses
> rsync plus hardlinks, but also does a whole lot more. It has worked very
> well for me for a number of years.

Okay, great.

> Personally, I'm also still waiting for a more "stable" version of btrfs or
> equivalent which can do block level de-dupe.

Awesome, thanks.
Alex