Re: Re-add not selecting drive for correct slot?

On Mon 10 Aug 2015 07:10:55 PM Wols Lists wrote:
> On 10/08/15 18:44, Thomas Fjellstrom wrote:
> >>
> >> Unless someone else has a better idea, I'd say you're right. If you would
> >> have unplugged the failed drive (so it disappeared completely), it could
> >> probably have been re-added. So unless you have a copy of the old
> >> superblock, your only way to proceed now is to use --create
> >> --assume-clean
> >> and get all the parameters right (order, offsets etc). There are lots of
> >> examples in the mailing list archives of people trying this and some
> >> actually suceeding.
> >
> > I think the only thing that would stop that from working is that there is
> > data in the bitmap. So if a assume clean is done, it might ignore that
> > and cause some extra corruption?
>
> Which is why you use loopback devices. You'll need to look back at
> real disks (which never actually get written to), and you can then fsck
> your array. If that comes up clean, you know you got the assemble
> parameters right, and you can shut down the pseudo-array and assemble
> the real array.
>
> > It'd be interesting to figure out if i can set that slot number manually
> > or
> > with a tool. That might be a smarter/safer way of doing it.
>
> Better the pseudo way (which will definitely allow you to recover IF the
> disk isn't corrupted) than trying your own stuff which might write to
> the disk and make life harder/impossible to recover.

Yeah, I did that once previously for a recovery. It was quite handy. I backed
everything up to a different machine. And re-created the array.

I may do that again. But then I actually have a mostly full backup, about the
only things i care about is some pictures I added to the array before it went
down, that I still have a copy of, but would have to copy them all back off of
various devices.

--
Thomas Fjellstrom
thomas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx