Re: Re-add not selecting drive for correct slot?

On Mon 10 Aug 2015 12:42:35 PM Thomas Fjellstrom wrote:
> On Mon 10 Aug 2015 07:10:55 PM Wols Lists wrote:

> > > I think the only thing that would stop that from working is that there
> > > is
> > > data in the bitmap. So if a assume clean is done, it might ignore that
> > > and cause some extra corruption?
> >
> > Which is why you use loopback devices. You'll need to look back at
> > real disks (which never actually get written to), and you can then fsck
> > your array. If that comes up clean, you know you got the assemble
> > parameters right, and you can shut down the pseudo-array and assemble
> > the real array.
> >
> > > It'd be interesting to figure out if i can set that slot number manually
> > > or
> > > with a tool. That might be a smarter/safer way of doing it.
> >
> > Better the pseudo way (which will definitely allow you to recover IF the
> > disk isn't corrupted) than trying your own stuff which might write to
> > the disk and make life harder/impossible to recover.
>
> Yeah, I did that once previously for a recovery. It was quite handy. I
> backed everything up to a different machine. And re-created the array.
>
> I may do that again. But then I actually have a mostly full backup, about
> the only things i care about is some pictures I added to the array before
> it went down, that I still have a copy of, but would have to copy them all
> back off of various devices.

Turns out, I couldn't rescue the data off that array. I looked harder at the
kernel logs, and it appears it started to rebuild then was immediately
interrupted and something tells me that somehow scrambled the beginning of the
array, and the metadata? I don't know. I tried a bunch of different create
orders on loop back devices, and nothing would work. I did get one order to
partially work, XFS claimed it could see the fs, but xfs_check was having a
fit, so I gave up. I spent too much time trying to get it to work.

I only lost some work that I can re do, so it isn't an issue. I had a semi
recent backup, only about a few days older than the failure, and the work I
lost was some picture sorting from a trip i took at the end of july, and all
of the pictures are still on my camera and phone, so all is good.

For kicks, I installed ZFS on my nas, going to give that a try. My backup is
still mdraid. Interestingly the backup array dumped two disks near the same
time. I'm suspecting the controllers REALLY don't like driving deffective
disks. I installed the 2TB disk that dropped out of the NAS that initially
seemed fine, but then started freaking out after sitting there doing nothing
for a while, and the controller booted another drive that seems to be working
fine and is a brand new WD-Red that I did some semi-serious burn-in testing on
prior to putting it into service. Just in case, that WD is getting some more
testing done before I add it back to the RAID-6 array it came from. It was
strange though, after the controller reset the likely bad 2TB seagate i only
put in there to test, it immediately started having problems with the 3TB WD,
and then reset that... I'm starting to suspect these IBM M1050's do not have
the most robust error handling.

Anyhow, problem solved for now.

--
Thomas Fjellstrom