Re: Recent drive errors

On Thu, 21 May 2015, Thomas Fjellstrom wrote:

for x in /sys/block/sd[a-z] ; do
         echo 180  > $x/device/timeout
done

I presume it's ok to do that even if the drives do ERC/TLER? Just woke up, but
my brain seems to be telling me it shouldn't break anything since the ERC
drives should always return after 7s no matter what...

Correct, the only downside is that if the drive really dies, it's going to take longer to detect this.

I'd rather have longer timeouts to make sure drives never kicked out because of lack of ERC or something else, than to have drives kicked for some reason (controller reset, lack of ERC, or something else).

I really really want to avoid drives being kicked for any other reason than them really being dead. I'd rather have reads stalled for a few minutes than this happening. For other use-cases, the requirements may be different.

--
Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swmike@xxxxxxxxx