Re: Recent drive errors

On Tue 19 May 2015 10:07:49 AM Thomas Fjellstrom wrote:
> On Tue 19 May 2015 10:51:59 AM you wrote:
> > >
> > > I have made sure that it's doing regular scrubs, and regular SMART
> > > scans.
> > > This time...
> >
> > Yes, and this drive was kicked out.  Because it wouldn't be listening
> > when MD tried to write over the error it found.

[snip]

> > I posted this link earlier, but it is particularly relevant:
> > http://marc.info/?l=linux-raid&m=133665797115876&w=2

> > > It looks like each one of the blocks in that display is 128KiB. Which i
> > > think means those red blocks aren't very far apart. Maybe 80MiB apart?
> > > Would it reallocate all of those? That'd be a lot of reallocated
> > > sectors.
> >
> > Drives will only reallocate where a previous read failed (making it
> > pending), then write and follow-up verification fails.  In general,
> > writes are unverified at the time of write (or your write performance
> > would be dramatically slower than read).
>
> Right. I was just thinking about how you mentioned that I'd get a handful of
> reallocations based on the latency shown in the image I posted. It's a lot
> of sectors that seem to be affected by the latency spikes, so I assumed
> (probably wrongly) that many of them may be reallocated afterwards.
>
> If this drive ends up not reallocating a single sector, or only a few, I may
> just keep it around as a hot spare, though i feel that's not the best idea,
> if it is degrading, then when it actually goes to use that disk it has a
> higher chance of failing.

Well here's something:

[78447.747221] sd 0:0:15:0: [sdf] FAILED Result: hostbyte=DID_OK driverbyte=DRIVER_SENSE
[78447.749092] sd 0:0:15:0: [sdf] Sense Key : Medium Error [current]
[78447.751034] sd 0:0:15:0: [sdf] Add. Sense: Unrecovered read error
[78447.752925] sd 0:0:15:0: [sdf] CDB: Read(16) 88 00 00 00 00 00 ef 7a 0f b0 00 00 00 08 00 00
[78447.754746] blk_update_request: critical medium error, dev sdf, sector 4017754032
[78447.756700] Buffer I/O error on dev sdf, logical block 502219254, async page read
<many many more of the above>

  5 Reallocated_Sector_Ct   PO--CK   087   087   036    -    17232
187 Reported_Uncorrect      -O--CK   001   001   000    -    8236
197 Current_Pending_Sector  -O--C-   024   024   000    -    12584
198 Offline_Uncorrectable   ----C-   024   024   000    -    12584

Badblocks is showing a bunch of errors now, and the above is what's in dmesg and smartctl.

So I guess it was dead after all.

> > > I was under the impression you still had to enable ERC on boot. And I
> > > /thought/ I read that you still want to adjust the timeouts, though not
> > > the
> > > same as for consumer drives.
> >
> > Desktop / consumer drives that support ERC typically ship with it
> > disabled, so they behave just like drives that don't support it at all.
> >
> >  So a boot script would enable ERC on drives where it can (and not
> >
> > already OK), and set long driver timeouts on the rest.
> >
> > Any drive that claims "raid" compatibility will have ERC enabled by
> > default.  Typically 7.0 seconds.  WD Reds do.  Enterprise drives do, and
> > have better URE specs, too.
>
> Good to know.

> > > There was some talk of ERC/TLER and md. I'll still have to find or write
> > > script to properly set up timeouts and enable TLER on drives capable of
> > > it
> > > (that don't come with it enabled by default).
> >
> > Before I got everything onto proper drives, I just put what I needed
> > into rc.local.

[snip]

> > Chris Murphy posted some udev rules that will likely work for you.  I
> > haven't tried them myself, though.
> >
> > https://www.marc.info/?l=linux-raid&m=142487508806844&w=3
>
> Thanks :)
>
> > Phil